Have you heard about original the Spanish sangría? It is one of the most popular drinks in the spanish summer. Owes its name to its colour which remind to blood ( in spanish “sangre”). Thus it must be done always with red wine. It is also frecuently done with white wine or cava (sparkling white wine from a specific area in Catalonia) but this variant should be called “white sangría”.
Althought it is often added kind of liquor, it is not mandatory at all. It depends on the liking of the consumers.
Regarding the wine used, the more quality it has the better will be the sangría. It is not required to use the most expensive one, as a Gran Reserva, but a good wine will improve the result.
Ingredients for six people:
- One litre of red wine
- Two peaches
- Two oranges
- One lemon
- Two apples
- Four soupspoon of sugar
- One cinnamon stick
- 33ml (one can) of lemon soft drink
- Optional: Peach liqueur or rum
Directions to prepare the original Spanish sangría:
1. Pour the red wine in a big recipient, enough to allow you mix the ingredients.
2. Peel the fruits and cut it in little pieces to ease the maceration.
3. Add the cinnamon stick and the fruits pieces into the wine, shake the mix and leave it to soak for two o three hours in the fridge.
4. Once the fruits has macerate, add the lemon soft drink and the liqueur and sake it again.
5. As the sangría has to be drunk very cold, add some ice-cubes right before serving.
Tips for consumption
This drink is very sweet and it is very easy to drink but don´t forget that it contains a lot of alcohol. Mixing acohol with high temperatures and sun can give you a surprise, so is recommend to be moderate with it is consuption and accompany it with some food.
Enjoy your summer and the orginal Spanish sangría.